Home / Identity Theft Recovery Checklist / Report And Replace A Missing Social Security Card

Report And Replace A Missing Social Security Card


The Social Security Administration (SSA) will only take a report of your lost or stolen Social Security card or number if you believe someone else is using it to apply for employment or government benefits. Call the SSA fraud hotline to report such abuse at 1-800-269-0271.

If you believe someone is using your Social Security card or number to apply for loans and credit in your name, you should contact the FTC as outlined in Step 5. The SSA cannot help you repair your credit, and they very rarely issue replacement Social Security numbers.

If you need to replace a missing card, visit www.ssa.gov to find your local office. If you have your Social Security number memorized, you may not need a new card. A Social Security card is only necessary when you are applying for new employment, for instance. Never carry your card with you in your purse or wallet on a daily basis. Keep it in a safe place until it’s needed.