File A Police Report -

File A Police Report


To gain access to all the legal benefits that you are entitled to as a victim of identity theft, you should obtain a detailed police report about your situation.

File a police report both locally as well as in the jurisdiction where the fraud took place. You might also consider filing a report with your state police, since many states have passed tough new laws to crack down on identity theft. Filing the report in person is the most effective method. When you go to file a report, have with you:

  • A copy of the FTC ID Theft Complaint
  • A government-issued ID
  • Proof of residency, such as a utility bill
  • Copies of any evidence you have of the fraud (such as credit card statements with fraudulent transactions, credit reports showing unauthorized accounts, or collections letters)

Ask the officer to attach your FTC ID Theft Complaint to the report; this will add more detail. Make sure you get a copy of the report, or at least the report number.

If the police are reluctant to work with you, try to file a “Miscellaneous Incident” report or contact your state Attorney General’s office.